[ggc-urantialist] Re: Golden Gate Circle (SF Bay Area) Weekend Bulletin 3/9/13

  • From: Bohohwymus@xxxxxxx
  • To: ggc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ggc-urantialist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, socadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 18:06:07 -0500 (EST)

GOLDEN GATE  CIRCLE
WEEKEND BULLETIN:
March 9, 2013

Mt. Diablo with lupine

Upcoming  Local and U.S. Events
YaYA Regeneration  Conference
A Youth and Young Adult Conference, Gloucester, MA. Thurs, Apr 18-Sun, Apr
21, 2013
Register from: _http://urantianow.com/yaya-regeneration-conference/_
(http://urantianow.com/yaya-regeneration-conference/)
_(20% off if  registered before March 15th)_
(http://urantianow.com/event-registration/?ee=5)
ROB  BELL / What We Talk About When We Talk About God
Mar 18, 2013  7:30 PM @ Berkeley Arts & Letters, First Congregational
Church of  Berkeley (2345 Channing Way at Dana; enter via courtyard on Dana)
Tickets $12 ($5 students) in advance only; $15 at the  door
The Chancel Choir of St. John’s Episcopal Church, with Guests and
Orchestra, performs Mozart’s Requiem in D Minor (K.626) on Sunday,  March 24 at
4
pm, under the direction of Ernest Fredric Knell, at St. John’s  Episcopal
Church,
1707 Gouldin Road, off Thornhill, in the Montclair  District.
“I am singing with this group” -- Orchestra is from the SF Opera
orchestra and choir will have opera chorus members as well. “Should be a  nice
concert.” (Bettina Gray)

IC’14 Grow  Godward at University of Massachusetts – Amherst
Wednesday, July 23-Sunday, July 27, 2014
For information and to register, here is the website for  IC14:
_http://ic14.org/UrantiaBookConference2014/_
(http://ic14.org/UrantiaBookConference2014/)

And the facebook page:
_http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Urantia-Book-Fellowship-IC-14/47516289249
6444?ref=hl_
(http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Urantia-Book-Fellowship-IC-14/475162892496444?ref=hl)

From  the Mailbag …
“Wish I could  attend the Rob Bell event - so glad you posted.  I encourage
all local  Urantians to go as he’s leading the pack of Emergence messengers
in Xty. I feel  it’s vital that our people hear firsthand this dynamic
believer attesting …  “that Jesus is ultimately not a proposition you
intellectually assent to but a  person  you say 'yes' to”. …  Blessings, Pamela
Chaddock

A  Book Recommend for you …
Author  of ‘The Shack’ is back with a New Novel, Cross Roads
_http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/01/21/breaking-out-of-the-shack/_
(http://www2.macleans.ca/2013/01/21/breaking-out-of-the-shack/)
When one of the world’s best selling novelists dropped by a deserted strip
mall  in suburban Toronto recently, he was unperturbed to find just four
people  waiting for him in a Christian bookstore. As long as there is anyone at
all to  hug—as he does with everyone he meets—and to share stories with,
William Paul  Young is more than content. Story is everything for Young: the
personal tale of  childhood pain, adult brokenness and spiritual healing he
poured five years ago  into The  Shack; the  story of that novel’s
astonishing explosion from 15 copies printed at a Kinko’s  to 18 million copies
sold
worldwide; and the 100,000 stories he has collected  from readers. He doesn’
t even mind that the people he meets barely spare a word  for Cross  Roads,
the  new novel he is—in theory—promoting.  …
Young, 57, never used to find God and his ways funny, or have much to laugh
 about at all. Born in Grande Prairie, Alta., but raised by his missionary
parents in Dutch New Guinea, Young was sexually abused by some of his
parents’  congregants, and again later, at a Christian boarding school. As an
adult, Young  kept his past and his feelings of shame and worthlessness secret,
bundling it  all into his metaphorical shack, “the place we make to hide
all our crap.”  Until, at 38, the crisis came, when Young’s wife, Kim,
discovered his affair  with one of her best friends. He realized he couldn’t
hide
any longer and had to  somehow restore his relationships with Kim, with God
and with  himself.
It took him 11 years, but he managed. And he created Mack, The  Shack’s
protagonist, whose five-year-old daughter, Missy, was murdered. Years later,
Mack, as angry and despairing as Young had been, finds a note in his mailbox—
a  note from God—inviting him back to the wilderness shack where Missy died.
He’s  greeted at the door by God, in the guise of a plump, middle-aged
black woman  incongruously known as Papa. Mack soon meets the rest of an
unusual
Holy  Trinity: a sawdust-covered, olive-skinned Jesus, and the Holy Spirit,
an Asian  woman called Sarayu. Together, enveloping him in their loving
relationship, they  heal Mack.
Some Christian leaders reacted favourably. … Many more doctrinaire
Christians,  however, were outraged by Young’s “ungendered” Trinity and by what
they saw as  New Age taint. “My own mother slammed the book shut when Papa
opened the shack  door,” laughs Young, “and immediately phoned my sister: ‘
Debby, he really is a  heretic!’ ” But the response of ordinary Christians was
viscerally  positive.
Young’s personal shack was an evil place, but not the one two readers
showed him  in photos at a Midwestern book signing. The grief-ravaged couple,
who
had lost  their daughter to a drunk driver, were on an aimless road trip
when they saw it,  a building standing alone in a field, sporting a sign
reading “the Shack.”  Intrigued, they went in to find a yellow legal pad with
the instruction to “Take  what you need,” and two worn copies of The  Shack.
The  wife did take one; “it saved my life,” she tearfully told Young. The
Shack has  brought him a lot, including wealth enough to support his family—
he had been  working three jobs—and to build a house for a Honduran
orphanage, a school in  Uganda and to fund several charities in Portland, near
his
Oregon home—but none  he treasures as much as those 100,000 stories.
Spectacular  Comet Views Lighting Up the Night Sky
By Adam Mann  (www.wired.com/wiredscience)
Sky-watchers in the Southern Hemisphere are currently being treated to the
beautiful sight of comet PANSTARRS, which is visible to the naked eye in
the  early evening … the comet can be seen starting March 7 from the Northern
Hemisphere.
The comet, officially known as C/2011 L4, has been eagerly anticipated  by
amateur astronomers as it has approached the inner solar system.  The icy
ball was predicted to brighten significantly as the sun’s hot wind  melted it,
forming a long tail. Those early predictions are now coming true as  the
comet makes an appearance in the night sky, visible  with binoculars or the
naked eye.
PANSTARRS is named after the Hawaiian telescope where it was discovered in
2011.
On  March 5, the comet will be at its closest approach to the Earth, being
slightly  farther than 1 astronomical unit, the distance between our planet
and the sun.  Starting March 7, PANSTARRS will be visible to enthusiasts in
the Northern  Hemisphere shortly  after sunset in the direction of the
disappearing sun. Viewers should try to find an unobstructed, cloudless  spot
away from city lights and look just above the horizon in the west. A few  days
later the sun’s glare will make the comet invisible, but it will reappear
on March 12 or 13 near the crescent moon (so get your cameras ready!). The
object will then be visible through the rest of the month, fading away in
April  or after.
93  Million Miles (a new song by Jason Mraz)
93  million miles from the sun,
people get ready get ready,
'cause here it  comes, it's a light a beautiful light,
over the horizon into our  eyes.

Oh, my my, how beautiful,
oh my beautiful mother.
she told  me, "Son, in life you're gonna go far.
If you do it right, you'll love where  you are.

Just know,
wherever you go,
you can always come  home."

240,000 miles from the moon,
we've come a long way to belong  here
to share this view of the night a glorious night.
Over the horizon is  another bright sky.

Oh, my my, how beautiful,
oh, my irrefutable  father.
he told me, "Son, sometimes it may seem dark.
but the absence of  the light is a necessary part.

Every road is a slippery slope.
There  is always a hand that you can hold on to.
Looking deeper through the  telescope,
you can see that your home's inside of you.

Just  know,
that wherever you go.
No, you're never alone.
You will always get  back home.

Thanks for tuning in and reading our  news. And please -- Stay tuned!  Dave
Holt, Communications  Chair for GGC

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image