[GeolLLibre] Re: GCDKit

  • From: Pierre Chevalier Géologue <pierrechevaliergeol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: geolllibre@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2010 10:37:05 +0200

Jean-François Moyen claviota:

Le 02/09/2010 18:52, Pierre Chevalier Géologue a écrit :
I found an old windows box, and installed GCDkit: ach, I forgot that there is no package dependency management in windows... I fiddled around a bit, I installed the latest version of R, which did not work, and finally R-2.7.0, then GCDkit2.3_for_R2.7.0. And it works, yes!
RTFM, Pierre.
Radio Trafic FM, yes! ;)

When downloading GCDkit from the website it explicitely telles you which R version to use and even supplies a direct download link :-). This is designed for dumb^w windows users.
Yes, that's what I finally did, RTFM from GCDkit website.

But reflex from a GNU/linux user: when you get such package as R, you RTFM the package and install it. Latest version is installed. And all versions are updated accordingly through the whole system, apt or rpm or whatever is in charge of all "dependency hells", and nothing breaks.
I had to put my brain backwards, back when I was a power windows user, playing with fire at every installation...
(
Sorry, it is so painful to go back in times and do such horrible things as manage your packages yourself, instead of your software manager doing it for you...
Sorry, that was a troll...
)

I quickly looked across the GCDkit documentation, and it appears that it
is mostly intended for igneous rocks geochemistry.
The plot/profiler gives some good results, but I'd like to mix different
scales (elements vary in very different ranges).
Any idea of which kind of diagrams could be used for my concerns?
Doesn't the profiler allows to select several columns and plot them together ?
Yes: I was just wandering whether there was not something already prepared for, say, hydrothermal alterations, metasomatisms, stuff like that.
And also, I did not find the way to adjust scales between various elements.

Otherwise you'll probably have to use the comand-line interface from within R (that shouldn't be to much of a problem for you), something along the line of

plot(x_from,Au_values,add=TRUE,....).

help(plot) should solve some of your problems I believe.
Yes, I guess so. But I'll rather do it from my R on my linux box (R version 2.11.0 (2010-04-22)), to get all the comfort of a true command-line environment.

Actually, I'm more used to do my plots with gnuplot, so learning R to do such simple things as plots is a bit chiasseur...

But, to go back to GCDkit: are there any plans to make it multiplatform? It seems that most is in Tk, so it should not be too difficult to port, at first glance.

A+
Pierre

Pierre Chevalier Géologue EI
   Mesté Duran
   32100 Condom
 Tél+fax  :    09 75 27 45 62
               05 62 28 06 83
                06 37 80 33 64
 Émail  :   pierrechevaliergeolCHEZfree.fr
 icq#   :   10432285
 skype  :   pierre.chevalier1967
 http://pierremariechevalier.free.fr/pierre_chevalier_geologue