[geocentrism] Re: modern edu

  • From: "philip madsen" <pma15027@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 08:07:51 +1000

Philip M
It might be considered unconventional, but in the second line of the solution,
the 'u' (mu) substitutes adequately for the 10^-6. Their answer is correct.
Paul D

It is unconventional and inadequate for me. In my school, symbols were in the
formula, which indicated capacitance as C  and the basic unit is farad. Unit
titles are excluded from the formula but explained in a following line. eg

Xc = 1/ 2piFC   where F is in hertz and C is in farads etc etc. .

During substitution, one never wrote in the unit titles such as Hz or mf.. (
except as an aid) Following convention the quantity 50mf must be converted to C
in Farads before being put in the denominator as a number.

Thus,  C should be substituted as 50 x 10^-6  not 50mf. As a teacher I would
not allow the placement of 5 x 10^-5 shortcut till I knew the kid knew what he
was doing and why.

Hence again on the next line of calculation 10^-5 is transferred to the
numerator above the line as 10^5. and the final substitution looks like this

10^6 / 6.28 x 100 x 50

=100000 / 3140

=31.84.

So they get  the answer correct,  but this is bad teaching method, like you
said unconventional.  u or mu is not always "micro" in technical terminology.
see below.

My text books  for convenience converts the formula to suit the more practical
unit microfarad, to

Xc  =  10^6  /  2 pi x f x C  where C is in microfarads.  Likewise for Henrys
in inductance.

Methinks the calculator has ruined young minds... Well ye all know I think
that..  But such confusion did cause that expensive crash on Mars..  If they
had Jules Vernes machine and recruited a team from Britain 1940, that mistake
would not have happened... no ways, nor a lot of other mistakes.

Phil.

Mu can be:

  a.. Mu (letter), M or ?, a letter in the Greek alphabet pronounced "mew"
(/mju/). ? is used as a symbol for:
    a.. The SI prefix micro, denoting a factor of 10?6 (one millionth).
      a.. ? by itself is often used as the "unit" of strain, though in this
context it retains its SI prefix meaning, which is interchangeable with "x
10?6" or "ppm" (parts per million).
      b.. ? by itself is a deprecated abbreviation for the deprecated unit
micron. The preferred terms are µm and micrometre
    b.. In mathematics,
      a.. The arithmetic mean of a statistical population
      b.. The Möbius function
      c.. The least-fixed-point-operator
      d.. A degree of membership from a fuzzy set.
    c.. In chemistry,
      a.. The chemical potential
    d.. In physics,
      a.. The friction coefficient
      b.. The mobility coefficient
      c.. The permeability (electromagnetism) coefficient
      d.. The muon, an elementary particle
      e.. The standard gravitational parameter
      f.. The magnetic dipole moment
      g.. The linear density
      h.. Viscosity
      i.. Reduced mass
    e.. µTorrent, a freeware BitTorrent client for Microsoft Windows written in
C++.
    f.. ?Ziq, An alias of Mike Paradinas.