[geocentrism] Re: KJV, apocrypha

  • From: "Cheryl B." <c.battles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:02:24 -0500

Hi, Nicholas.  The Jews get to decide on whether or not the Apocrypha was
authentic scripture or not because the Apocrypha was written in the 400
years between the last OT writing and the appearance of Jesus to walk upon
this earth.  So the Apocrypha was all written before Jesus came.  The Jews
rejected it from their Jewish Canon and had no doubts in doing so.
Protestants read it and it leaves them cold, teaching doctrines contrary to
the rest of scripture and just not as they say "resonating."

Amongst Christians, only the Catholics have embraced the Apocrypha as
inspired scripture, and did so very late in the game, almost 2,000 years
after the Apocrypha was first written.  In the late 1500s the Catholics
decided officially to canonize the Apocrphya.  It's all included in your
Bible and pronounced as God-breathed scripture by the Catholic church.  But
nonCatholic Christians say, no way.

There's lots of early church writings and ancient writings that there's
nothing wrong with reading, that we can learn a lot from.  I know Marshall
Hall has stuff on his site about the apocrypha supporting a static earth.
But I wouldn't read that stuff thinking this is the inerrant Word of God.  I
put more weight on the Didache and writings of the early church fathers than
the Apocrypha as far as being God-breathed in any way.

And IMHO likewise if the KJV translators went ahead and did a translation of
the Apocrypha that still doesn't make it Scripture, and it also doesn't
diminish their translation of the true Bible at all.

Even the New Testament canon was already well-established in the first
century and the Catholic Church just rubber-stamped what was already a
given.  At least they didn't try to tamper with it.   Martin Luther tried to
mess with the canon also and failed.

When it comes to preserving His Word, who can resist the Lord?