[geocentrism] Gravity Slingshots?

  • From: "Gary Shelton" <garylshelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 07:49:18 -0600

Well, oooops, looks like my metric conversion was wrong.  Won't be my last
mistake.  13 km/sec is actually more like 29,000 mph.

I'm just a dummy here, but doesn't this new figure lend itself to the
question of how big a "slingshot" help Jupiter's planetary would speed be?
Wouldn't the space probe have been able to achieve that speed on its own,
and Newton's 1st says it wouldn't require much energy to maintain that
speed.  Right?

A further question I, as a dummy, have is this.  Don't the "outer planets"
kind of all have to be on the same side of the sun for this whole thing of
using Jupiter to get out to them to work?  And don't those orbits take
centuries to complete?

Hmm.  This might be relevant here...  It does seem I remember reading as a
kid (circa 1972?) about an event called "The Jupiter Effect".  It was
supposedly this lining up of most of the planets with Jupiter.  The
hullaballoo was all about how the increased gravity pull on the earth was
going to cause all sorts of earthquakes, etc. that year.   But if that's the
case the outer planets have certainly all drifted apart since then.  Do they
ever get more than one planet to line up with Jupiter so nicely for them
now?

Sincerely,

Gary Shelton