[geocentrism] Re: Attachment Sizes

  • From: Steven Jones <steven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 18:05:32 +0000

It will come through, just big files are slower so png is the best way to go I think. There is no attachment limit with freelists :)

j a wrote:
I'll look into the PNG. Is my current email with the bmp drawing going to come through or do I need to re-submitt it with a srunken file size? Is zipping OK?

*/Steven Jones <steven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>/* wrote:

    I'm not coming down heavy on you J A because I'm guilty of it
    myself, however may I suggest if you submit any more of your
    excellent diagrams that you use a compressed file format such as
    png (Portable Network Graphics) because a bmp (bitmap) is
    unnecessarily large for sending.

    I would also like to suggest that Allan also saves in png, because
    jpg losses a lot of quality for diagram like drawings whereas you
    should achieve better compression with png and no-loss in quality
    (its a very clever format).

    Without going into technical specs:

        * jpg = for photos
        * png = for technical diagrams
        * gif = for technical diagrams with no more than 256 colours,
          can be 256 shades of grey which is the most amount of grey
          shades a Windows computer can display anyway even if running
          24 bit colour. Forget 32 bit on Windows machines, this is a
          deception to long to explain here!

    Best Wishes,

    Steven.

http://mail.yahoo.com