[GeoStL] Re: iPhone caching

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 14:41:15 -0600

-
I have been looking at new cacher hides for a while and a lot of them need to
have their coordinates. I think most of the problem is not what they were using
but how they are making waypoints. Even my old mid '90s Magellan handheld could
give excellent numbers if ya did it correctly.

To me, the best way to get good numbers is just to take your time.  You don't
have to take several reading to average, ay don't have to walk back and forth
or any of that.   Just set the gps down and let it sit.  Lots of folks run up
to a location, hit mark and run off.  Those numbers will not be very good.
Someone did a comparison with a sub-centimeter GPS used for surveying and some
cheap old handhelds.   Guess which one gave the better numbers?  Well of course
the $20,000 gps gave better numbers but after sitting on location for 5 minutes
the cheap handhelds gave the same numbers.  There is a giant improvement in
accuracy between zero and 3 minutes then a slower improvement from 3 minutes to
5 minutes. After five minutes the numbers didn't get any better and that was
the point of diminishing returns. So, bottom line, take any ole thing ya want
but take your time.

My Garmin Vista was good, the 60csx is good too.   My AT&T  Tilt (htc8925) was
just as good and I have found lots and lots of caches with it if i move a
little slower. I REALLY like the GCz  app    for the windowz platform
http://www.nicque.com/PQz/GCz.htm  .   Moving slower has not been a problem and
y'all can quit laughing any time now. :-)   The Iphone has also given good
numbers if you just  take your time   and time is the key in my opinion.

On Jan 10, 2010, at 1:12 PM, Jim Bensman wrote:

> -
> How is it and other GPS phones for hiding a cache?  In the last couple of
> years I've started noticing (mostly new cachers) having all their
> coordinates significantly off.  I have speculated they were hiding them with
> a GPS enabled phone and GPS phones were not good for hiding caches.  Is
> there any factual basis to my speculation?
>
> Jim Bensman
> "Nature Bats Last"

Glenn

from this