[GeoSTL] geocaching in the news

  • From: Glenn Nash <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "St. Louis Geocachers Association" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 07:34:22 -0500

Here is a note from a newsletter  RGS mentioned yesterday.

Glenn
------------------

While these uses are eminently practical, there are fun uses, too:

     I just wanted to mention that there are several world-wide
     games, similar to letterboxing, tied to GPSs. One that I
     participate in is called GeoCaching (pronounced "geocashing").
     ( http://www.geocaching.com ) There are 17,479 caches in 121
     countries. Thought you might be interested in this, it is a
     great way to get a little exercise and help clean up our parks
     and water ways in the process. (Geocaching's motto is "Cache
     in, trash out.") Geocaching has become quite an online
     community. --- Bruce Hullman

Indeed, if you go to the Geocaching.Com site and use their advanced
search engine ( http://www.geocaching.com/hideseek/ ), you can find
caches near you; and odds are there are a bunch out there that you
otherwise would have no clue about. While you're there, look up waypoint
GC4C84. That's the geocache my wife and I established a few miles from
our house.  8-)

As I said in the last issue, although many of you may think "I have
absolutely no use for a GPS...", I'm betting that soon, many of you---
even the skeptics!--- will be won over, just as happened before with
other forms of high-tech portable devices.

Please come check out the article and all the other reader responses at
 http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20020425S0004) , and then join
in the discussion! Am I too far ahead of the curve on this one? Or--- as
Google's list of 3.5 million GPS-related web pages indicate--- is GPS
about to break into the mainstream? Do you use a GPS, and if so, which
one? What are the best GPS resources? What's the best use you know of
for small, inexpensive GPSes? Please join in the discussion!

---
I am Virus Free, I just aways twitch..

Our NEW WebPage!   WWW.GeoStL.com
Our OLD WebPage!   http://home.swbell.net/glnash/GEOCACHING/slaga.html
Mail List & Archive Info.
To donate to SLAGA:
https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=GLNash%40SWBell.net&item_name=SLAGA
Environmental msg. of the day, "Save the spotted Cow"