[GeoStL] Re: geocaching gets negative press

  • From: "dana cook" <zoejuju@xxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 10:26:57 -0600

-
I don't think the concern is with people who follow the rules. I think the implication the paleontologist makes is that looters may use GC.com to find fossils to steal. Don't get me wrong, looters are going to loot regardless of GC.com. I am not at all defending her position. You are right, the park staff is at a gridlock with the Sioux which is a much bigger issue. My point was that its not good PR for geocaching to get not-so-positive press from National Geographic.

I love what Backpacker Magazine has done with GPS coordinates.

From: "Mike Griffin" <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [GeoStL] Re: geocaching gets negative press
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 10:17:27 -0600

-
They have bigger issues with the Indian Militia that just took thousands of
acres of the park by force. It seems the tribes in the area are tired of
people coming on to their land and taking fossils and relics of their
ancestors. National Geographic did a good article on it a while back.

Listing fossils on geocaching.com is perfectly acceptable as long as people
follow park rules. Backpacker magazine just advertised their new "The Worlds
ONLY GPS Enabled Magazine" and started their first issue with coords to all
the neat hidden stuff at Yellowstone. I would imagine that that is no
different from anything GC.COM lists.

Mike