[GeoStL] Re: commercial caches

  • From: Stephen Martin <faery_generic@xxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:20:54 -0700

-

On Monday, September 24, 2007, at 11:24PM, "Mike Tollefson" <mbtoll@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>I must say that the Subway or Crackel Barrel cache never fell under this.   I
>do not need to go inside and interact as the policy states.  I also feel no
>obligation to buy their product while hunting a cache on their property.
>Can't say how that applies to the commercial clause.
>
>Mike

I assume that the reason these are considered commercial is because of the text
after the ", or" of this section of the commercial cache definitions.

***Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or
locations that sell products or services.***

There are so many caches that this could cause a need to archive.  How far must
it be from the location that sells stuff.  I do not get a huge urge to purchase
from nearby gas stations, groceries stores or even when I was inside a major
mall to get clues.  Does this include a cache near an intersection where the
pretzle guy sets up shop or a newpaper stand sits?  It is often the case that
the "rules/guidelines" are left so vague that one does not know wether or not
it is a "legal" hide.  I wish I was a little more tech savvy. I would totally
build an alternative geocaching site without so much PC crud and with
"rules/guidelines" that were clearer than mud.

Stephen

PS- Just to be clear, I do not fault our reviewers for this issue.  They can
only do the job using the text they are give.  It would be so much better if
groudspeak could have some clarity in the wording and not leave it to
perceptions.