[GeoStL] Re: Sort of NGR: hydration pack questions

  • From: James Shilt <webscouter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:59:44 -0600

-
I have tow Camelbaks, one is a M.U.L.E. it is too small. The other is
one of the hunting packs with three pockets. I don't know which one it
is but I think it is a Striker. I did take the larger bladder out of the
MULE and put it in the Striker so that I could have more water with me.

One thing I have found out is to fill the bladder with water before
deciding if the amount of storage is enough for you. I also like the
hunting versions better because they don't have lots of cords, web type
pockets that get caught in the underbrush for those caches you have to
bushwack to.

When I bought the Striker I took all my geocaching stuff into the store
with me and also a full bladder of water to try the pack out.

Also make sure you aren't taken in by the "Gadgets". I saw a pack that I
like that had a really cool "honeycomb" external frame but after I was
over my gee whiz attitude I realized that it was almost two pounds
heavier than the one I ended up with.

Hope this helps

Jim "webscouter" Shilt

Susan Ring wrote:

>-
>I'm looking at hydration packs (AKA camelbaks), mostly for
>hiking/geocaching, also to use on ski trips.  Anybody out there have any
>advice about things to look for?  There are so many different models it's
>making my head spin.
>I've noticed that the ones intended for skiing usually have little or no
>extra cargo space, so they're sleek enough to wear under a jacket.  Do you
>think they could be worn in conjunction with another pack then?
>
>Do the ones with all the extra  compartments really carry as much stuff as a
>small backpack, like I usually wear?
>
>Thanks.

> Subject field

Subject field