[GeoStL] Penny Smashers

  • From: Glenn Nash <Glenn.GeocachingAdmin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "St. Louis Area Geocachers" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:35:06 -0600

-
Penny Smashers  more detail   http://tinyurl.com/b7bxc

Smashed pennies are no new kid on the memory-maker block. The World's
Colombian Exposition of 1893, held in Chicago, USA to commemorate the
400th anniversary of the discovery of America by Christopher Columbus,
was the first known time that souvenir smashed coins were made for a
specific event.

The waymarking site said that the nearest penny smasher is in Hannibal,
Mo.  With all the smashed pennies I have seen in caches around town, I
would think that there would be one closer.

Glenn