[GeoStL] Re: PDA

  • From: "Dufer" <mobilegeocacher@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 21:08:15 -0600

-
I have gone pretty much paperless. I am using a laptop with a wireless air
card in it. I can down load waypoints from geocaching.com import the
waypoints in to De Lorme Street Atlas 2004 plus while on the run.  I connect
my rino 120 to my laptop and that gives me my location real-time as I get
near a cache I can see it on my map as a hyperlink. When I click on the
hyperlink, I go online with my air card (through t-mobile) I can read all
the pages, see the pictures and make my log entry at the cache site before I
leave if I want to.  The down side is if you are going to an area with no
coverage you have to wait till you get a signal before your online again, on
the upside the laptop is a regular computer so you can have all your caches
open as webpages. So far this is  working really good for me. I even hooked
up a USB web cam to the laptop and was able to show someone, me caching live
via webcam as I was out in the search of a cache. Bad deal is the laptop has
to ride in a back pack because its not quite the compactness of a PDA.I
started out using a pocket PC (connected to T-mobile) but the thing that I
did not like about that was the screen was so small that you had to
manipulate it allot to read the cache page, and you could not open multiple
cache pages when you were going out of the coverage area. I keep an inverter
In the car and the entire time I am in my car I have the laptop connected to
AC and always charging.

Ed