[GeoStL] Re: Now that it's warm out, be extra careful!

  • From: "Eric & Dayna East" <believer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 20:29:06 -0500

-
Well, what can I say? That is a very inconsistant story.
First of all, he controdicts himself in his picture captions. In one he says it was a wetern hognosed snake and in the other he says they do not occur in that area.
The wetern hognose snake in fact does not occur in Georgia although the southern and eastern do.

Secondly, the story of how the bite occured seems fishy also. If it were a bite from a hognose snake, it certainly could've swollen like that. Even though they are considered nonvenomous they actually are mildly venomous. However, they are rear fanged and would have to chew in order to get his finger far enough into it's mouth to inject it's venom.

I'm not that familiar with the behavior of the western hognose but, the eastern (the one we have) very rarely bites. It will spread it's head like a cobra and strike at you with it's mouth closed & if this doesn't deter you, it will roll over on it's back with it's tongue hanging out, playing dead. The funny thing is if you roll it back over on it's stomach, it will roll right back over on it's back again! LOL

Eric

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jen Guyer" <jennifer.guyer@xxxxxxxxx>