[GeoStL] Re: NGR: Help with wireless router needed

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 10:49:01 -0600

-
Well, whenever I set up one for any of my friends or relatives, I hide
the SSID and turn on security. I have a firewall and other things to
protect my network. I wouldn't want someone who is infected to get on
the same network as me. I realize that this can happen when I use a
public WiFi connection, but still, it is just safer to keep things
private. It also adds a level of privacy, since many (not all) systems
will not even tell you if there is a wireless router available if it
isn't broadcasting an SSID.

I have had people who do work from home who have been disrupted because
there was a kid in the back yard using up all their bandwidth with the
game he was playing on his hand held computer game system. I don't mind
if someone would freeload occasionally.

It isn't the innocents I worry about.