[GeoStL] Re: Magnetic pole

  • From: Jim Everman <everman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 08:28:17 -0600

-
M. Bollinger wrote:
I saw a really cool show on Nova (PBS) about this.  It really explained it well and
had geologic proof of previous flips.  It doesn't happen all at once but gradually.
 In the middle of the flip there will be several magnetic north & south poles
that will wander around the world.  The result will be global auroras.  We will
also be subject to more of the solar/interstellar radiation because the magnetic
field will be much weaker.

Here's a link to the Nova site that refers to the show:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/magnetic/

Thanks. I thought that was it until I tried to play the animation. I have a hunch it's from the same source though. I'll poke around using some of the names mentioned. Perhaps with a "-Cayce" added for good luck.

For what it's worth, I did get interested in Edgar Cayce (a bunch of years ago), even to the point of spending some time at the ARE in Virginia Beach. But my degree is in Physics. :-) Predicting the 'flip' will happen again is somewhat like predicting there will be another earthquake in California..

Geo Jim