[GeoStL] Lewis & Clark survey marker

  • From: Roger Barnes <rogbarn@xxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 21:54:16 -0600

-
There are many events planned for the St. Louis area to commemorate the
Lewis & Clark Expedition.  One of them is the setting of a survey
monument at several places along the route that they traveled.  Someone
from the benchmark forums on gc.com contacted me because he will be
traveling from PA to St. Louis to attend the ceremony.  The various
festivities run from March 10 to 14.  He emailed the NGS to get more
information about the dedication and he said I could post the reply that
he got here.  Happycycler and I have made preliminary plans to meet him
there.  It would be great to have anyone else who is interested join us.

Thank you for your interest in this great project.
The marker in St Louis is being set by the St Louis Chapter of the
Missouri Professional Land Surveyors Association. They await a warmer
day to set this marker, so the exact date is not clear. The monument
dedication however is Saturday, March 13 at 1:00pm. Dave Doyle has
indicated he would be willing to give the dedication speech. The site is
the Missouri Historical Museum in Forest Park. At that time, the
National Signature Event for the Louis and Clark Bicentennial, which
goes on from March 10-14, will be in full swing as you probably know
already. There is a fantastic exhibit at the museum with many Lewis and
Clark artifacts. The 12 inch Commemorative disk is already in St. Louis,
and any info on the setting of the marker should be directed to Mr.
Brian Fischer or William Hassall.
Subject field