[GeoStL] Re: HTM#1 Witches Cemetery RE: Bernie

  • From: Jim <everman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:21:04 -0500

-
I feel a bit obligated to add my experience of a couple weeks ago.. I originally wrote this for a friend, so if it seems odd, that's why.

I was in Mt Olive and one of the caches I did was "Chapman's Ball", in Chapman cemetery. I followed the arrow to the rear of the cemetery. Way back a dead end lane is a monument with a large polished sphere. Since my GPSr is pointing directly at it, I 'put two and two together' and decide to back down the lane to get closer. I note what a peaceful place this seems to be. Quiet as a graveyard (hahaha), shady and cool under the pines even on a hot August afternoon.

The cache was easy to find and no where near anything that might be damaged.. Well, not as I recall at any rate. I signed the log and left one of my squished pennies. I took a geocaching button, just because...

I strolled back to my car, took a big swig of icy Gatoraid from my thermos and used my Pocket PC to make some notes on this find. About that time I notice a dark green Corvette driving into the lane where I was parked. It is obvious the car will block my exit but I'm not terribly concerned (yet). As I said, it is a cool, pleasant spot.

The driver goes very painfully slow and stops just a few feet in front of my car. And sits there. I continue to review the data on my PDA - sorta. I'm half in the car and half out, ready to move quickly whichever way might be required. Eventually the driver gets out and goes around to the passenger side of the Corvette. Medium build, shoulder length dark hair, no facial hair. Darker than normal skin but not a Negro. Perhaps an American Indian? Silver earring in right ear, stunted right arm. No obvious weapons...

He gets a pad and pencil from a box behind the seat. A cop? I decided to make some sort of contact and got out of my car.

Me: "Hi.. uh I was just getting ready to leave and you have me blocked in. Are you gonna be here very long?"

Him: "I own the land on both sides and behind this cemetery."

Me: "Uh.. ok..."

Him: "I don't like people that come in here to drink and/or trespass on my property to hunt."

Me: "All I have to drink is Gatoraid and I don't hunt."

Him: "I've also heard that there is some sort of internet thing back here called a 'geo-catch.' Now I can't tell other people how to spend their free time, but I don't like people coming here from all other states looking for that either. Cain't say ah like 'geo-catchers very much."

Me (recalling that I'm from MO and currently in IL, and trying to make the 'Geocaching 101' on my tee shirt a little less obvious), "I can understand that..."

Him: "You on the internet?"

Me: "Well, I do that from time to time..." I learned long ago that is best not to volunteer anything. Not information, not work, until positive consequences are *very* clear. There were consequences here that didn't seem very positive. I strained to hear if "Dueling Banjos" was playing somewhere nearby.

Him: "You also might not know that squirrel season opened a couple days ago. It's kinda dangerous out in the woods today..."

Me: "Thanks, I didn't know that (can I go now?)."

About that time I notice another car has entered the cemetery. He had his back to the entrance but notices me look that way and turns to look also. He gets back into the Corvette and slowly backs out. He backs out of my way, into a position to block the newcomer. I slowly but deliberately leave the cemetery, hoping the newcomers have a good reason to be here. Wiped my forehead and headed up the road and away from there at respectable speed.

The rest of the afternoon was rather boring after that experience. I found the "X-19" after a short hike and even shorter search. I was (only) the third person to do so. I decided to head for home.

 Geo Jim