[GeoStL] Re: HTM#1 Witches Cemetery RE: Bernie

  • From: Joe Taylor <rockey_f_squirrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:45:53 -0700 (PDT)

Just don't let them get into an Email Debate... LOL

Dan Henke <thunder_monk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:-

Isn't Caching GREAT!!!!!! Maybe we should introduce
ALL the world leaders to caching and get them together
for a GROUP hunt!!!! Who knows it might lead to world
peace :-P

Thanks everyone

Dan (Thunder)

--- Wayne Lindberg wrote:

> -
>
> Bernie and all
>

> I am normally a ?lurker? looking to learn as I have
> only been Geocaching for
> a bit over a year and only have about 120 to my
> credit, so I?m not an expert
> on cache placement or damage from caching. I have
> seen some areas that have
> been altered by Geocaching, geotrails come to mind,
> but as a hunter, animal
> trails tend to be only less damaging. I?m sure
> there are those among us
> that have little respect for the land and locales
> where we are permitted to
> cache, but, my overall perception is that the vast
> majority appreciate the
> freedom and flexibility that we have and act
> accordingly, wherever we can
> place a cache. We can also be self-policing in
> this. Much as we have seen
> in this thread regarding ?Monday morning
> quarterbacking?, we should also be
> directly correcting our compatriots ON THE SPOT, if
> we see something that is
> not right in the field.
>

> My wife is a genealogy buff and we have visited many
> a cemetery to collect
> ancestral information, take marker rubbings, and, in
> my case, this is where
> I go to visit most of my immediate family and some
> old friends, when I am
> back home. Live people visit dead people in
> cemeteries. It?s not a bad
> thing. In some areas, such as Savannah, GA,
> cemeteries are a major theme in
> caching, just don?t plan to cache after 5:00 PM, as
> they lock the gates.
> In fact, I am looking into placing a cache at a
> local (Lincoln County)
> cemetery due to its history and location, and
> because we need to remember
> these often ordinary folks who were much like
> ourselves, and often have no
> direct descendants today.
>

> Damage due to our pastime is never a desired result,
> but some will occur.
> Just as in the case of CITO, we should all be alert
> for damage that MAY have
> been the result of Geocaching, fix it if we can and
> report it to the
> responsible parties, if we can?t. The damage at
> this particular cache can?t
> be directly attributed to Geocaching, especially the
> way the cache notes are
> written, but I would have tended to pick up rocks
> that looked as if they
> should have been part of wall, replaced them and
> just reported my find, with
> no more than a note that I cleaned up around the
> area. The Boy Scouts have
> long had the credo to leave the area better than we
> found it, and that?s not
> a bad position for responsible cachers to have,
> which is already reflected
> in CITO, and can easily be expanded to include site
> cleanup. Savannah, GA
> just recently had a site-specific CITO that was to
> open up a historic area
> [...]

Subject field

Joe Taylor
IS IT FRIDAY YET?

Check out my NEW Web Page
Favorite GC - Stories and Adventures
UPDATED - JUNE 9,2005

Rockey the Flying Squirrell

 What is Geocaching (In case you are not in the Geocaching Mailing Groups)

http://mail.yahoo.com