[GeoStL] Re: Buxley's Geocaching Waypoint Website

  • From: "Brad Myers" <bmyers88@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:33:35 -0600

-
Found this on Buxley's site as of 1-6, no more Grounspeak caches:

As I'm sure you have noticed, there are a lot fewer geocaches listed on my
maps today than there were a few days ago. In fact, none of the geocaches
hosted by the folks at Groundspeak (geocaching.com) are currently listed.
Why? Well I only want to show caches on my maps that I know are both
accurate and up-to-date and I can't do that anymore.

As many of you are aware, Groundspeak Inc. and myself have been in
discussions for a long time now (since August of 2003!) whereby they would
freely provide the information I needed to keep these maps 100% accurate.
The talks seemed to be going well and none of the technical issues seemed
all that difficult -- I was given a sample set of data way back in January
of 2005. So what was the problem?

Legal issues. My lawyers said I'd be foolish to sign the agreement as
presented to me by Groundspeak Inc. I can't go into details (again due to
legal reasons) but the agreement would bind me in certain very strict ways
and yet there was nothing in the contract that would bind Groundspeak to
provide my site with geocache data that was 1) accurate 2) timely, or 3)
complete. So why *would* I sign such an agreement?

So anyway, with the turning of the new year, I have decided to make a clean
start by removing all the Groundspeak-related data from my web site. My
apologies to all the geocachers affected by this -- it certainly isn't
something I want to do, but under the circumstance I feel I must.

So what's in the future? Well, I've already been contacted by other
geocaching and GPS games web sites asking what they can do to help get their
data on my maps. (How refreshing!) I'll be working with Quinn and the kind
folks over at Navicache.com to make sure their data is as up-to-date and
accurate as possible. And I have a few ideas for map improvements that even
those subscription-based corporate geocaching sites haven't thought of yet.
;-)

So if you're the owner of a web site and you have GPS-related game data
you'd like to see on these maps, contact me at waypoint@xxxxxxxxxxx and
we'll talk.

-Buxley