[GeoStL] $$ / 501c / SLAGA

  • From: Kirk Yates <kirk.yates@xxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 13:56:49 -0500

-
I'm still new to this, but I'll put in my .02 worth:

I was surprised to get an offical newletter.  Great job!!  I didn't
realize the SLAGA was formal enough to have officers, but I did wonder
about the web site expenses.  Other than the stats page, I hadn't
spent much time looking around the rest of the site.

I noticed the spring picnic also includes nominations for officers.
Is this a combination picnic / annual meeting or is there a formal
annual meeting sometime later?

Is there an annual budget or at least an annual projection of
expenses? I saw the ledger report and that provides some information.

Are there bylaws for SLAGA?

I'm secretary/treasurer for another informal organization in the St.
Louis area.  We get together once a year to discuss the past season, bylaw
changes,
budget, changes for the upcoming season, etc.  Money is collected from
all teams involved, and used to pay expenses through the year.  This
informal organization was formed in 1949, so it's been around for
quite a while.

I think the 501c is a big step and it would be one I would not be
anxious to pursue.  As well as all the paperwork to get it started, I
think you have annual reports associated with it, and another annual
fee that has to be paid.  You want to try to identify all the pros and
cons first.

I contribute $$ to another site on a perodic basis.  The person
running the site sends out a notice to all the subscribers when funds
are running low, or a server upgrade is needed.  The request do not
come very often, but I get needed information from the site on a daily
basis.  I think banner ads help with a lot of the expenses of keeping
the site running

--
RoadTrip

Subject field