[geekcrypt] Legal assistance for TrueCrypt fork

  • From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: info@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 09:06:05 -0400

Hi.  I'm Bill Cox, one of the geeks working to fork TrueCrypt.  I've been
urged to contact the EFF for a legal opinion on what we need to do to
comply with the law, at least here in the US.

My understanding is that we don't have to worry about collaborating
internationally on the source code, at least while members are not from an
export restricted country.

Here's what I just emailed the geekcrypt list:

"Developers here in the US could simply declare ourselves as a non-profit.
Here in NC, no notifications are even required to any government entity.
Once we've made that declaration, I could notify BIS whenever the main
organization hosted in another country is ready to have a release.  This
looks simple enough to me.  Apparently, no other action is required on our
part here in the US."

Is my understanding of this issue accurate enough?  Are there other issues
we need to worry about?  I am personally lobbying for keeping this a
no-income non-profit, as things get more complicated when money is involved.

Thanks!
Bill