[geekcrypt] Re: Crypto export law in US

  • From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geekcrypt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 08:58:11 -0400

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 8:35 AM, Niklas Lemcke - 林樂寬 <compul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Your job it shall be.. :D
> What I consider more of a problem though is the TC license.
> (https://ciphershed.org/License)
> In particular this
> The terms of the TrueCrypt license cannot be changed in any way (including
> adding new terms).
>
> We should have someone contact the EFF law department ASAP.

I'll do that, and I'll forward any messages from them that they allow me to
make public here.

This term is simply a reflection of the lack of skill of the author of the
license.  It is automatically understood in every country where copyright
licenses are enforced that you do not automatically have the right to
modify the license unless the license specifically authorizes it.  In
particular, the GPL 2.0 does in some cases:

" Each version is given a distinguishing version number. If the Program
specifies a version number of this License which applies to it and "any
later version", you have the option of following the terms and conditions
either of that version or of any later version published by the Free
Software Foundation. If the Program does not specify a version number of
this License, you may choose any version ever published by the Free
Software Foundation."

The TrueCrypt author simply wanted to make it plain that we do not have
permission to "upgrade" his license to a GPL license, for example.  That's
too bad, because it's save us a ton of work!

Bill