[gameprogrammer] Re: basic vector math

  • From: "Alan Wolfe" <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 11:05:10 -0700

Here's a trick a very talented person i work with taught me :P

If you have your 3x3 matrix representing rotation, translation, scaling, etc
each row of the matrix represents a "relative axis"

like if you had this matrix (totally made up):
1, 4, 5
2, 8, 2
9, 3, 2

if you wanted to know which direction was left and right you'd take the top
row (1,4,5) as a vector and normalize it.  That will give you the "right"
vector, and you can multiply the vector by -1 to get the "left" vector.

The 2nd row of the matrix is the Up/Down (Y) vector.

The 3rd row of the matrix is the forward/back (Z) vector.

cool huh?

Not sure how that applies to 4x3 or 4x4 matrices though :P