[gameprogrammer] Iterator question/organize a vector

  • From: "David Olsen" <jolynsbass@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 23:07:10 -0600

Hi guys,
I'm just double checking on how to use iterators in my game. I have a list of words, and the potential to re-arrange their order. Is this the correct manner in which to do so with iterators:

a vector called "word", with iterator #1 (iter1) and iterator #2 (iter2). iter2 is always the next vector element after iter1. (iter2 = iter1++)

in the event that I need to switch the two words, does this c++ code work?

word.insert(iter1,*iter2);
word.erase(iter2);

will this give me the expected result? or will I erase what's pointed to by iter1, since I just added something in front of it, essentially putting it in the place where iter2 has been pointing?

Thanks for the help!
-Dave