[gameprogrammer] Re: ANN: Audiality 2 1.9.0 - Refactored, renamed, rearmed!

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 02:58:53 +0100

On Friday 04 January 2013, at 02.02.13, Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> It's so weird seeing you post on both gameprogrammer and music-dsp hehe...
> there can't be that many of us on both lists :P

Yeah... There used to be a strong connection between programming and music.
What happened with all the guys who rolled their own trackers and custom
players back in the day!? :-D

> (do you use port audio for your audio?)

Nope, just native SDL and JACK right now. (JACK is loaded dynamically, as I
want the Linux binaries to run on systems without JACK.)

Considering RtAudio for additional APIs later, but since I'm working on Linux
and already have JACK support, I'm mostly interested in native DirectSound, to
combat latency/dropout issues on Windows by means of DMA buffer "mix ahead"
tricks.

Will probably throw in proper scriptable MIDI/OSC/... support later on, so one
can implement realtime MIDI support inside games and the like without nasty
native application code. And of course, remote control via TCP - but I need to
have a proper GUI authoring tool first...! ;-) (I've been doing everything
using a simple dialog in Kobo II + MIDI + external text editor so far.)

> Really awesome dude!

Thanks! :-)

--
//David Olofson - Consultant, Developer, Artist, Open Source Advocate

.--- Games, examples, libraries, scripting, sound, music, graphics ---.
|   http://consulting.olofson.net          http://olofsonarcade.com   |