Re: Initial Questions...

  • From: Ron Benditt <rbenditt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ftcdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 00:23:20 -0400

On Mar 10, 2008, at 8:02 PM, Brendan Murphy wrote:

Ron Benditt wrote:
I'm attempting to migrate from a very buggy WordGuise plugin to
the Formatted Text Control.  After a short look, I have a few
questions/comments:

The first thing to do is read the programmer's guide. It is only
about 60% done, but it will address a lot of the questions you
will have. Also, skim through the FTC mailing list archive to
learn from what has already been written.

I've skimmed the programmer's guide and I will read it through thoroughly.

Setting mode to anything besides Page results in an
OutOfBoundsException in FTDocument.drawNormalViewMode.

Examine the demo project see on how to do this. See the TestWindow
menu handlers for examples of changing the mode.

Assumption that everyone is has or is using the spelling checker
plugin is not valid.  For what I'm doing, I don't want or need a
spelling checker, so I'm not going to pay $500 for a plugin that I
don't need.  I've had to comment out a bunch of code and delete
the spelling modules to get FTC running.  I hope I don't have to
do that every time that you put out an update.  I suspect that
most of FTC users are in my situation.

You are not required to use any spell checker or you can use the
spell checker of your choice. It sounds like you are starting with
the FTC demo project. All you need is the FTC folder to be
imported into your project. You can also drop in my spell checker
into your plugins folder and run it in demo mode (thus requiring
no changes to the demo).

Ha! Yes, I was starting with the demo project. I just deleted that folder from my project and put the one from the download in there and I see that there are no spelling module issues anymore. Sorry about that!

How can the background color of the page be set?  Not the blue
area behind the page, but the area where the text is drawn on.  I
see the changeBackgroundColor method in the document class, but I
have no idea of what to put in for the FTInsertionOffset
parameters.  The only way that I can see, at the moment , to get a
FTInsertionOffset object is to call getInsertionOffset.  That
gives me one of the two parameters that I need.  I just want the
whole area to be different than white, set in the control's open
event, if possible.

I think you are looking for FTDocument.setPageBackgroundColor.
changeBackgroundColor controls the color behind the text itself.

Yep, sure was!

Can the page width and height be changed apart from design-time?
 Right now I'm looking to implement something like an edit field
that resizes when the window resizes.  I have a feeling that I
should not be using Page mode, but as pointed out, I get errors
when I choose other modes.  At some point, I do anticipate using
the FTC in another project where I would like to use page mode,
however it would be nice to allow the user to select paper size.
 I can already anticipate US/Europe paper size differences!

Yes you can change the page size apart from design time.

Look at the FTEditField subclass included in the FTC distribution.
It is designed to mimic the behavior of a plain old EditField
except with the advantages of the FTC. It is a subclass of
FormattedText class that configures the control to edit mode and
set the margins appropriately. Again the demo shows you how to
switch between modes if you want to do it manually (see the
TestWindow menu handlers).

Thanks, I'm starting to get things working now!

I look forward to using this control.  It will be so nice to leave
WG behind!!!!

I would like to hear details of your experiences with WordGuise.

I'll email you off-list.

Thanks!

Ron Benditt
Alien Apparatus Company, Inc.