Re: Best format to store for web app

  • From: Dr Gerard Hammond <macsos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ftcdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 15:17:16 +1000

At 11:37 PM -0500 19/10/07, Brendan Murphy wrote:
Dr Gerard Hammond wrote:
I am thinking of using the FTC to collect user information via a OSX and Win32 RB client app.
The info will be stored in a database (perhaps after I BASE64 encode it)

What I was wondering, would it be better to store the FTC info in the db as XML and then when I need it, transform that XML into RTF (when I print from the RB Clients) or XML-HTML when I access the data from a Web browser accessing the same info in the same central db.

Or is it better to store it as RTF in the DB and transform RTF-> HTML when required?

I seem to be leaning towards the XML in the DB, as XML->HTML and XML->RTF (and XML->PDF) are reasonably well-known transformations. Which would you use?

The XML format is a "lossless" format. You can lose information
when you translate to RTF. For example, if you have custom
objects, they will be converted to pictures if you store it as
RTF. So the best thing you can do is store it as XML and this way
you leave your options open in the future for the sake of
flexibility. Personally, I would store it as XML. You could use a
stored procedure on the server side to translate it to the desired
format such as RTF or HTML or do it in the client application.

Thanks for the reply Brendan.
XML Sounds like a good choice to me too. Do I need to Base64 this XML code or is it SQL clean as is?

Secondly, can I use the FTC code as the XML-> RTF transformer without needing an instance of the FTC canvas?
Any tips on doing this with the current FTC code base?
--

Cheers,

Dr Gerard Hammond
MacSOS Solutions Pty Ltd
macsos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.macsos.com.au

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

FTC Website: www.truenorthsoftware.com/Realbasic/FormattedText.html
Set List Options (digest and vacation modes): www.freelists.org/list/ftcdev
the subject field.