[fsf60k] last night's meeting

  • From: "Wiltamuth, Dick" <Dick.Wiltamuth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 13:16:38 -0600

dear friends,
if you missed last night's meeting, you missed the snacks prepared by
our hostess, carol werblin. cheese and crackers were a favorite.
of course there was much food for thought.
1. we have a rough estimate of $40,000 needed for nuevo amanecer water,
supplying about 25o people. puritec says purification machine costs
$25,000. however, this cost could be cut significantly with a smaller
unit. some of the water not used for drinking or cooking could be left
untreated for use in irrigation, watering animals, washing. george pardo
is checking with suffolk county water authority and nicaraguan health
officials on use of untreated water. with the $25,000 purifier, annual
cost for chemicals and filter is $7,000. this price also would go down
with less water treatment. we still need prices on pump, tank or two,
and solar panels. students for $60,000 has about $8,700 unallocated for
nuevo water. pete white says a united nations employees' fund could
provide some money. our group may start a campaign via public
announcements. pete will pursue answers to nuevo project during upcoming
trip with students.
2. also on fundraising, a subcommitee was formed to explore an event in
may at millie willen's house. proceeds could be used for local projects.
we have received a request for aid from farmingdale citizens for viable
solutions, which has been assisting dozens of immigrant workers for
years from a storefront. paying the rent is a continuing problem.
3. special guests kate shreck and joe martin from the nicaragua group at
our lady queen of martyrs said their february trip to amatitan will
consist of about 40 people, including students from several local high
schools. they also enjoyed the snacks.
next meeting is scheduled for thursday, march 1, at 7:30 at temple beth
el.