[fsf60k] Re: Telica - Nuevo Amanecer, Water Project Proposal

  • From: michael cipoletti <ikecip@xxxxxxx>
  • To: fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 17:30:12 -0500

hey all-
i just came back from a very successful trip but i wanted to get answers in
regards to the many questions listed below..
on monday Conchita and I met with the mayor of telica, Marlon Canales the
person from the Mayor's office that will be responsible for the project, and
two representatives from Vision Mundial. Also present were Clelia Sandino to
ensure there was no miscommunication due to language and Ben Gordon who is
living in Chacaraseca right now and is very interested in assisting with this
project.

The mayor was very clear that it is his job to serve the people and very much
wants to see this project get done. He expressed his gratitude at our
willingness to partner with his office and has assured me that everything will
be above board and transparent. I spoke of the skepticism we have do to our
past experience and he said that nothing of that nature will take place he also
referred to a a Law 623 which I have yet to look up (but I think has to do with
the proper use of funds). he agrees with a convenio/contract between the
participating parties but said "the guarantee is that this kind of work is the
duty of the mayors office and the completion of the job is the expectation of
the people and therefore the office of the mayor is very interested in seeing
it through"

There are two possible sites one el Ocoton is 1.4 k away.. it is private
property right now but the mayor is arranging that a parcel of land be donated
by the company (title and all) to the project.
the other site is las sirenas about 3k away. As I said to Peter today the next
step is to get the study done. This study could begin by the 15th and will take
about 30 days to complete.. cost will be 3000 dollars. we are being asked to
cover this expense and Peter will bring this up at tonights meeting.. Conchita
currently has 6500 in an account that was 2008 club money. this will be a full
study of water table at both sites a cost proposal etc.  once we have that
study vision mundial will be passing the findings to a donor that has 45000 for
a water project in the region. the key is that we approve the study and release
the 3k as soon as possible because the mayor seemed quite intent on getting the
project rolling by february. (i have attached clelia and ben on this email so
if they would like to add any feedback i would appreciate it).
the technical questions will be answered once the study is complete. water will
be metered and will be charged at the standard rate of nicaragua 6.5 cordobas
(roughly 32 cents) per cubic meter. one cubic meter is about 264 gallons of
water. there is  a minimum payment of 7 cubic meters per month so we are
looking at a cost of 45.5 cordobas (2.27) per month for 1848 gallons per family
which is about 1 tenth of a penny for a gallon. this system is expected to work
like similar systems in the region with a plentiful water source that will
allow for irrigation etc.

the money that is charged is used for maintaining the system and is less than
the  60 cord a month we were charging for the diesel system that was not
providing nearly as much water.

so with all of this said i ask that we get the go ahead to release the 3000
dollars so i can let conchita know tomorrow.

for those of you that speak spanish and wish communicate directly with her she
can be reached at concepcion montes <conchita_mo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
i hope everyone had a great thanksgiving
michael