[fsf60k] Field of Dreams contact

  • From: Peter White <pedro831@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dwiltam@xxxxxxxxx, ikecip@xxxxxxx, fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 17:58:15 -0400

Hola,

I have been in touch recently with an alumni from years past who is a sports
writer. He is eager to help with the FOD Project, and put me in touch with
some good contacts. Of course what I would really like is his ability to get
"into" locker rooms, or "to" players, but I'll have to take what is of
course. One contact is the dir. of the Roberto Clemente organization. I
spoke today with him and he understands all we are trying to get begun and
accomplished. He is as close to the DR as we are to Nica. He completely
knows the issue, has seen the barefoot kids playing with sticks and rocks
for bat and balls, etc. PRoblem is that his org doesn't build fields, but
they equip groups in poor places, in cluding Nica. He said things that I
already know, like "Its very often not what you know, but who you know."
Things like that. He suggested that we re-contact the Baseball for Tomorrow
group, which I was in phone and email touch with last year, and follow
through better...which I'll do. He did say that if we built the field, he
would see about helping us equip it. Just thought I'd keep you in touch with
this attempt. I will see my alumni friend in Sept. or sooner, and be in
phone and email touch with him too. maybe he has other avenues of approach.
PW

p.s. Miguel, is there any update on the FOD, like the fencing, the leveling
of the terrain, etc. Have the people begun doing anything fieldwise since
Lisa's group visited in April? Also, we could use a rough quote from a Nica
field builder. Maybe some of those Leon league reps know who could build
such a thing. I'm sure there are many things to consider, like the drainage
so its not a FOP (Field of Puddles), cost of backstop, bleachers, labor, is
heavy equipment needed, or can it be done by pick and shovel with local
workers, etc. How much expertise is needed? What exctly is Paulino's dream
in dollars and cents quoted by someone with knowledge and experience. Stuff
like that.

***
You can unsubscribe from this list by sending an email to
fsf60k-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field.
An archive of messages is available at //www.freelists.org/archives/fsf60k.
FAQ'are available at //www.freelists.org/help/faq.html***