FRTM (no subject)

  • From: Robert D Cassiday <rdcassiday@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dirk@xxxxxxxxxxxx, frtm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 11:53:47 -0700 (PDT)

Front Range Toastmasters,

I meant to write to you all last week and let you know that I regret that, at
least for now, I need to discontinue my membership.

I have so many things going on in my professional life and am taking night
classes and need to cut something.

Would like to keep in touch with almost all of you. You've been great and you
are an energetic club.

I may return after I complete my MBA.

Bob

On Mon May 2nd, 2011 10:12 PM MDT dirk@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>OK fellow FRTM Toastmasters...  I had the opportunity to speak at length with
>Julia Davis (D26 District Governor) and Gavin Kirton (D26 District VP of
>Public Relations) tonight.&nbsp; I think further examination needs to be
>considered about the topic of &quot;Double Clutch&quot; and &quot;Double
>Crutch.&quot;  As Kathy shows below, the definition of a crutch is an
>artifical support, such as a physicial crutch to support one with an injured
>leg.  ========================== There are many definitions of a clutch. As
>Kathy provides below:  To downshift by shifting gears in an automotive vehicle
>first into neutral and then into the desired gear, releasing the clutch twice,
>once for each shift.   ==========================  As applied to speech then,
>a crutch word is an ahh, umm, err, etc. that artificially support
>phrases.&nbsp; They are typically sprinkled in sentences while the speaker is
>trying to come up with what to say next.  A verbal clutch is the
 point of transition in the spoken phrases.&nbsp; In other words, the point of
verbally&nbsp; disengaging and reengaging (like using a clutch between gears) -
or - the finishing and starting of sentences back to back.  So with this, to
say &quot;um... um&quot; or &quot;er... er&quot; are double crutches.&nbsp;
To say &quot;...this and that.&nbsp; I repeat...&nbsp; I repeat...&quot; is to
start the sentence twice, or to double clutch.  In summary, we typically use
crutch words and perform double clutches in our verbal language.&nbsp;
Occasionally we perform double crutches as well.  There&#39;s my $0.02 on this
issue.  Dirk

>-------- Original Message --------&nbsp; Kathy&#39;s Korner - Sharing the
>Wealth . . . What is the Differenece&nbsp; between a CRUTCH and a
>DOUBLE-CLUTCH? Find out the answers below in the Definitions copied verbatim
>from Dictionary.comThe Definition of a CRUTCH IS… crutch    /krʌtʃ/ Show
>Spelled[kruhch] Show IPA  –noun  1. a staff or support to assist a lame or
>infirm person in walking, now usually with a crosspiece at one end to fit
>under the&nbsp;armpit.  2. any of various devices resembling this in shape or
>use.  3. anything that serves as a temporary and often inappropriate support,
>supplement, or substitute; prop: He uses liquor as a psychological crutch.
>Perhaps this is what we do in Toastmaters&nbsp;when we Repeat the same word in
>a row . . .such as . . .and...and... The Definition of a&nbsp;DOUBLE-CLUTCH
>is… dou·ble-clutch 1      /ˈdʌb əlˈklʌtʃ/ Show Spelled[duhb-uh l-kluhch] Show
>IPA  –verb (used without object)
 Automotive .  to downshift by shifting gears in an automotive vehicle first
into neutral and then into the desired gear, releasing the&nbsp;clutch twice,
once for each shift.  dou·ble-clutch 2      /ˈdʌb əlˈklʌtʃ/ Show
Spelled[duhb-uh l-kluhch] Show IPA  –verb (used without object)  (of a bird) to
produce a second clutch of eggs after the&nbsp;first has been removed, usually
for hatching in an incubator.  &nbsp;For more information - Click on the Link
to the Definition of the Word - CLUTCH &nbsp;**************
&nbsp;&nbsp;http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/CLUTCH If you would like to
Share the Wealth and contribute to Kathy&#39;s Korner&nbsp;please send me an
e-mail&nbsp;and I will add your helpful Toaastmaster Tips, Thoughts, and or
Comments to future Weekly Meeting Schedule e-mails ... first come first serve
by the week&nbsp;. . .&nbsp; : ) &nbsp; Have a Great Week! &nbsp; Kath Kathy
Barrett Vice President - Front Range Toastmasters
 Kathy.Barrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 720-338-0279 - Cell   &nbsp;TOASTMASTE