[frgeek-michiana] Re: Warehouse Report - 12/2/2008

  • From: mdcsystems@xxxxxxxxxxx (Mike Cook)
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 18:03:11 +0000

From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> :: eBay Offerings
>
> Kevin photographed some communications equipment and an 8-port KVM
> switch to sell on eBay. Kevin says eBay has changed their requirements
> since he last put FGM gear for sale on his account. First, he was told
> by a friend that all sellers MUST now use PayPal. Kevin prefers money
> orders and other forms of cash. Second, he is not sure what the eBay
> imposed fees are now and how they are paid. Chuq said the eBay "tax" is
> 28 percent of all transactions.

I read about the change to Paypal only payment back in September. As a result I
no longer sell anything on eBay and haven't bought anything through eBay since
October. I'd be a lot less angry if they allowed competing payment methods that
weren't either owned by eBay or partners with them   I have always accepted
Paypal (owned by eBay) as payment but really dislike the idea of eBay dictating
that I cannot accept a check or money order (or escrow service) should a buyer
wish to use them. I'm not sure their fees are quite up to 28% but they have
been going up. I guess since eBay is such a large player they don't figure they
need to compete anymore. eBay's policy is here:

http://pages.ebay.com/sell/August2008Update/Payments/

From what I see they only allow payment by means that they get a cut of. I'm
beginning to think eBay is dead and just doesn't know it yet.

Mike