[frgeek-michiana] Re: Volunteers

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 10:54:17 -0500

Beremeire Laban wrote:
I have made few contacts with individuals during the course of last two weeks, who have promised potential volunteers for a class. A one, Joseph Karanja, is willing to organise a group of about ten people for a class. He is a community activist and works with at risk youths. He promises to put together a group at short notice. Is this something we are prepared to handle at this point in time? I will be waiting for feedback from all of you. Laban

Choose the right car based on your needs. Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool. <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48518/*http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/;_ylc=X3oDMTE3NWsyMDd2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDY2FyLWZpbmRlcg--%20>

Laban:

Good job!

The lab is not quite ready for teaching classes. I wish I could give you a date when it will be ready. There are three goals which must be met before we can start classes.

1. Network boot and run Vector Linux 5.8 from lab server.

Goose and I, mostly Goose, found a way to boot VL 5.8 from a server. We did a proof of concept test at the lab weeks ago.

This weekend Goose plans to prep a new server for the warehouse. It will boot VL 5.8 natively so that the server and thin client terminals at the warehouse will actually be running Vector Linux. This is our shakedown test for loading VL at the lab.

If the configuration at the warehouse runs well, we'll install the same set up on a hard drive for the lab server. The lab server has cold swappable hard drives. Booting Vector is simply a matter of shutting down the server, removing the Debian boot drive and replacing it with a Vector drive or a Puppy drive for that matter.

2. Network boot and run Puppy Linux from lab server.

Mike is working on this. We have identified the files which must be installed on a server in order to netboot Puppy. There are at least three different methods to netboot Puppy. We haven't performed a successful proof of concept with any of the methods yet.

At least one of the methods would allow terminals in the lab to boot Puppy without shutting down the lab server and replacing drives.

3. FreeBoxes ready to distribute.

Before scheduling a class we need to build and 100% quality test enough FreeBoxes to give to distribute to the students. If Mr. Karanja can recruit 6 students, then we need to build and test at least 6 FreeBoxes.

Also, we need to match the lab server setup to the FreeBoxes. If we distribute VL FreeBoxes, the server must allow terminals to boot Vector. If the FreeBoxes are loaded with Puppy, the server must allow the terminals to boot Puppy.

I think Forest has found enough recycling vendors to ensure a continuous flow of refurb/recycle material through our system. Once the lab is ready for instructing FreeBox recipients, we can begin distributing FreeBoxes. As soon as we distribute (or recycle) most of the material at the warehouse, we can begin marketing again. At that point, FGM is ready to rock and roll.

Our ultimate goal is self-sufficiency. In meeting our mission, the mission will sustain itself.