[frgeek-michiana] Volunteer credit system

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:09:59 -0500

Here are the notes for the FGM volunteer credit system. If you have thoughts, please throw them out for discussion.

I. Classes

. $60 per class ($15/hr)
. each class is up to four hours
. 1 credit = $10 if paid wages
. a class would then be 6 credits

II. Credit rates

A. Admin assistance

1. Admin assistance is time consuming task not related to demanufacturing.

       . Examples:
       . pickup/delivery
       . baby sitting
       . making solicitation calls
       . record keeping
       . equipment testing
       . helping with classes

2. 1 credit = one hour of administrative volunteer work

    3. Bonuses for successful solicitation of donations
        . 1 credit per $100 cash donation
        . P1 or P2 computer = 1
        . P3 = 2
        . P4 = 3

B. Disassembly
. mouse = 1/20 credit
. keyboard = 1/20 credit
. CPU = 3/4 credit (seems too high, how about 1/4 which is 4 units per hr)

III. Credit pool

A. There will be a credit pool from which low income students may draw. Any volunteer can contribute earned credits to the pool.

B. Qualifications

1. Only low income students may draw from the pool. If we peg low income as below a living wage, then students earning less than $10/hr or $20,000/yr qualify. That's a lot of folks.

2. My wife, the social worker, says that the easiest way to qualify folks is to ask for a food stamp card, a medicaid card or a pay stub.

3. A person withdrawing credits from the pool must first apply their own earned credits or cash to 70% of the cost of the class or item. Therefore nobody can draw more than 30% of the cost of a class or item from the pool at one time, and nobody takes a class or earns an item without volunteering or contributing cash.

IV. Discounts

Core volunteers quality for 25% off any one item or class per month.