[frgeek-michiana] Re: Vector 6.0

  • From: "Tom Brown" <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 16:33:31 -0500

I run VL 6.0 on my laptop which is a P4. Web access and speeds are perfectly
good. (I'll get back to you on the system resource in the laptop.) I have VL
6.0 on a P4 desktop but seldom use it.

My most used PC is VL 5.9 on a P4 single core with at least 1GB RAM
connected to the wired network at home. It's a joy to use. I can download a
file while I shred another file and surf the web. Web apps (browser, email)
are of course slow when there is that much load on the system. Otherwise,
the VL 5.9 box is comparable in response to my single core 2.66 MHz Xeon XP
Pro box at work.

Wicd works fine in my house. I tend to use WEP-128 because it has the least
hassles but may switch to some flavor of WPA to test. I have a 54G DLink
wireless access point which works fine with 54G and 300N wireless adapters
and the home wired network. On my last visit to the South Bend library for
FGMLUG, wicd in my VL 6.0 laptop detected all the open wireless routers and
connected to one of them - I only tried one. But I went with wired on wicd
at the library because it was faster.

While I was at the hospital in Ft. Wayne, I connected daily to their public
wireless network using an eeePC 701 netbook. The same netbook has trouble
connecting to open access points at the South Bend library and no trouble in
my home on WEP-128.

That VL 6.0 desktop PC which I seldom use has a DLink USB 300n wireless
adapter which works fine on wicd at home.

Tom

  _____

From: john jones <rainman121065@xxxxxxxxx>
To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, February 18, 2010, 10:32 AM

its  slower then grape road traffic at christmas time when it comes to
surffing the web compared to the old linux OS