[frgeek-michiana] Re: VL 5.8 too big to Ghost to CD

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <ke4rit@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 10:44:57 -0400

Tom Brown wrote:
Going forward:
- Do we buy DVD drives/burners to install VL?
We have been getting a few DVD burners in here and there so cost of buying a burner = zero. Having dvd drives on hand to install images also good but require opening every system not equipped with one to install from dvd = labor.
- Do we work out network installs?
Not an issue if the computer already has a nic and works... Otherwise crack the case, install a nice, etc. result = labor

The POSSIBLE Way (and maybe what Tom is thinking and I'm not reading) is the network install would be a dd image of the master drive that we then use a boot cd / floppy to copy the image to the hard drive. Like a network version install of ghost...

Hey, CAN ghost do that? Load an image from across the network on a server? Throw in the Ghost disk, it starts it's thing then contacts a server to actually transfer the image instead of using a cd / dvd!????

It's a thought. We would need dedicated nic's for the job... Not an issue there...

- Do we stick with install ISOs on CDs?
  The easiest way as I see it right now...

  Richard

P.S. In a better mood today! :)