[frgeek-michiana] Tcl / Expect problem resolved

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 19:45:04 -0500

Goose:

I found the source of the Expect problem I mentioned last Thursday: The remote server is not included in the local Apache user's .ssh/known-hosts file and can't authenticate. My Expect script wasn't designed to recognize and handle an authentication exchange so it bombed (timed out).

The Tcl "exec" command allows redirecting standard output and standard error to a log file so I added that as an argument to the exec command string. After reading the log, I knew immediately what to do -- add the Expect commands to automate authentication for the remote login, and Bob's your uncle.

I can't praise the Tcl community enough for what they've created. I plan on publishing the code for the application on either FGM's web site or on MichianaGeeks.net as soon as the app is in production.

The current buzz word in Silicon Valley is "Web 2.0." The Tcl community had all the tools for Web 2.0 by 1995. Nobody knew because Sun Microsystems cut the project loose in favor of Java, which they thought would be a cash cow. I think Sun bet on the wrong horse...er, cow.