[frgeek-michiana] Re: Perley FB class - Dec. 13

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 09:00:09 -0500

CLASS SCHEDULE: (all times A.M.)

08:30 - Setup room with Nichole
09:00 - Intro to Free Geek and Free Software movement
09:30 - Students fill out demographic survey form and help bring in FreeBoxes from car or truck
09:45 - Instruction, practice and testing
11:00 - Tear down room
11:30 - Lock up and leave

It would be good to have a digital projector and screen to present the Free Geek intro. People more easily tolerate, and possibly enjoy, the lecture if there are pictures. Perhaps we can borrow Forest's projector. Although I have an OO Impress Free Geek presentation, I don't have a Free Software presentation. Not to worry, there is a 5 minute video on Free Software prepared for the 25th birthday of the Free Software Foundation. I'll bring the Free Geek presentation and the video to the warehouse tonight. Following is the url of the FSF video in case you can't wait to see it.

http://www.gnu.org/fry/

I probably will not instruct the class so another volunteer will need to step up. My wife's family Christmas get together and celebration is Dec. 13 and 14. Although I can teach the class and drive to Gr. Rapids afterward, it is a waste of gas, money and family time when I can ride with my family in one car.

I need to train at least one other instructor, possibly two instructors since Wilson School may initiate FreeBox classes this year. Training begins with assisting at several classes, then taking the lead while I assist. I will work with assistants on an Instructors Manual with media and handouts. The plan is to recruit new assistants from the pool of FreeBox class graduates and train them to instruct so the FreeBox classes become self-sustaining. Cynthia and Ana, FreeBox class grads, are assisting at the Dec. 13 class.

Tom

Richard Zimmerman wrote:
How long is the class? I have my daughter but it would be a good time to show her another side of FGM and the good we do... What all is involved?

Goose

Tom Brown wrote:
Well, Forest can't do it. He is ringing a bell for the Salvation Army that morning. Kevin is available. Chuck isn't sure yet.

Cynthia and Ana, who both attended and passed the November FB class, will be assisting and translating. Nichole, the Perley FACSS coordinator, will also be there with rolls, coffee, juice, etc. She will probably also take photos with a camera or her mobile phone.

PLEASE don't post personal or sensitive information unless you wish for it to be in the public domain.

PLEASE don't post personal or sensitive information unless you wish for it to be in the public domain.