[frgeek-michiana] Re: Lab Notes 12/16/06

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <ke4rit@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 11:46:14 -0500

 Ok ,from what I can see...

  2.6.17-2 run the K6 cpu's just fine...

  2.6.18-3 do not run the K6 cpu very well...

At least in Debian (and it looks like most distros) K6x (also i586?) support is being dropped from the Linux kernel. Most recommend running the i486 kernel. In the jump to 2.6.18-3, they must have made optimizations to the kernel that the K6 cpu's do not like. This is the most likely reason why the Intel's are running fine, AMD's are not (Hello Captain Obvious!)

  So, I'm now looking at compiling a K6 kernel for Debian.

Quick question... It's been a LONG time since I compiled a kernel.. CAN I compile a K6 kernel on an Intel machine if I've got all the source code / headers for said product (K6 Kernel?)

  Goose

Richard Zimmerman wrote:
Update to the below:

Both broken servers are AMD based and were running the 2.6.18-3-486 kernel. After being paged all night (Tuesday evening / Wednesday morning) I finally rolled back the second server to 2.6.17 so I could get some sleep. The first broken server still wasn't delivering received faxes this morning but that turned out to be a Hylafax FaxDisaptch file configuration error. So good for the manual... <grin>

It is really looking right now that the 2.6.18-3-486 kernel for Debian Etch is BROKEN at least on AMD machines. The other servers that are running 2.6.18-3-686 are all Intel based and so far have NOT shown any problems. I'll be loading 2.6.18-3-486 on my test machine at home (Intel based) to see if I can reproduce problems on it...

  I'm still looking into it.  More later...

  Goose