[frgeek-michiana] Lab Notes 12/16/06

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 09:51:27 -0500

:: Modems To Test

Goose and I searched our mailing list, the Ubuntu forums and several web sites for the modems which FG-PDX recommends for Ubuntu. We ordered three modems from Gearx.com. If we don't choose Ubuntu as our new distro, we'll have some spare modems.

(1) Conexant/Rockwell internal
(1) Best Data external hardware controller modem
(1) Motorola internal

We wanted an Intel 536ep but clicked on the Motorola unit by accident. So, we'll have to exchange it right away.

:: GnuCash

Brace yourselves! The entire GnuCash data directory disappeared. And, we don't know why.

On the upside, Goose had backed up the dir to his usb pen drive several weeks ago. We mounted the usb stick and restored the data. Nothing much has happened financially since the backup so we only lost one transaction.

Our first thought regarding the missing directory is that last week Goose might have logged on at two terminals. Someone besides Goose could have had access to his home directory and may have deleted the files by accident. Goose and I are considering creating a "treasurer" account to avoid multiple logins.

Really, we are at a loss to explain the disappearance. Goose made a fresh backup on his usb stick.

:: Usb Stick vs. Floppy Drives

Rick has suggested we standardize on usb pen drives and avoid automount problems we've encountered with floppy disks. I confirmed that name brand usb drives (Sandisk, 32MB) are readily available at $5.00 plus shipping. Closer shopping might find 64 MB sticks for the same price.

Goose and I thought about actual use by our volunteers and clients and came up with a few questions:

- Which versions of Windows recognize and automount usb drives? Which do not?
- What are the policies at local high schools and colleges regarding mounting usb drives?
- Do the Linux distros we are investigating recognize and automount usb drives?

:: Debian Update Broke Servers

Goose reports that Debian Etch (testing) updated kernels to 2.6.18-3 and broke two of three servers on his employer's network. Actually, it may have broken all three. When he became aware of the damage on the first two boxes, Goose left the third at 2.6.17. He checked his work servers from the lab and found NTP had changed too. There may be other problems he won't see until Wednesday.

The lab server is running 2.6.18-3. We didn't notice any problems aside from the missing GnuCash directory.

####