[frgeek-michiana] Lab Notes - 12/12/2006

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:16:25 -0500

:: Laptop Repair

Hot damn, Joe Bob! This here stuff is good.

JB Weld, or whatever goo Dale mixed and poked into the broken plastic hinge thingy on the Gateway laptop, worked. The hinge on the lid/lcd now moves pretty much like new, and, according to Goose, it ain't never comin' off. Dale still can't believe it. Goose swears by it. This JB Whatever stuff is definitely pro kit.

Caution: Use thereof can be dangerous to the inexperienced, eager or hopelessly inept.

JB Weld -- http://jbweld.net/index.php

:: Edubuntu

Goose installed Edubuntu on an iMac and brought it to lab. Edubuntu is an impressive distro for children or the young at heart who want to refresh their high school science, math, and spelling skills. Albert was fascinated with it.

John/Forest looked up the Gcompris educational game collection to see if Edubuntu repackaged it. I am uncertain whether the question was resolved. Kubuntu purports to be for K-12, and Gcompris says it is for 2-10 year olds. Albert is going to see if a Gcompris package is available for Vector Linux SOHO.

Edubuntu -- http://www.edubuntu.org/
Gcompris -- http://gcompris.net/-en-

:: Some More Buntu

Dale found a compelling reason to settle on Kubuntu for his personal distro: He really likes KDE because it automagically detected and displayed an icon for his second drive, a 20 GB IDE which was formatted with Linux on another computer and stuffed into his box _after_ he installed Kubuntu.

Unfortunately, KDE wouldn't automatically mount the second drive. I showed Dale how to use the GNU/Linux shell to mount the drive and configure the system to automount the next time he boots up. We rebooted the machine and bada bing bada boom. There it was.

I steered Dale to the Linux Documentation Project so he can read about GNU/Linux system administration at his leisure or need.

Kubuntu -- http://www.kubuntu.org/
The Linux Documentation Project -- http://tldp.org/

:: The Server That Died

Thank our lucky stars the server wasn't one of ours. Goose says the servers at the warehouse are fine, thank you very much, and the lab server is in good health too. The server that died is a file and print sharing PC from one of my client's offices. The firm donated it to FGM when it croaked.

[Cool Linux story sidebar -- The PC had SME5, a server appliance distro similar to ClarkConnect, installed and ran four years continuously with just one reboot. You might say it died with its boots off. ;^ ) I pulled the hard drive out of the dead PC, put it into a used Dell box and the system ran without a hiccup. The client is happy. Ya gotta love this stuff.]

I thought a quick power supply swap might resurrect the PC. I thought wrong. Dale did the swap, and the computer just lay there like flattened squirrels on the streets of South Bend. But, unlike dead squirrels, the MSI mobo's LEDs were lit redder than a baboon's butt. Something wasn't right.

As the rest of us tried to find useful diagnostic information on MSI's North American web site -- believe me, that isn't easy -- Rick noticed the mobo capacitors were blown. There were half a dozen or more caps on the mobo; all but one had bubbled over. Then Dale noticed a toroidal coil was burnt. I mean blackened toast burnt. Austin Powers, you've lost your mobo!

:: Unnamed Competitor Steals an Unnamed FGM Client And Will Likely Live to Regret It Department

The unnamed local high school from a few weeks ago told Forest one of our competitors offered to accept their monitors (busted or good) at no cost. Since we haven't figured out a business model which allows FGM to do anything but lose money on monitors, we charge a fee to accept them.

One can only speculate what our competitor is thinking. Is the organization simply warehousing monitors hoping someday they'll have enough revenue to recycle them? Will the citizens of Indiana pick up the bill when the organization shutters its doors and leaves the monitors stacked by the curb? Are the monitors destined for the landfill? Is this ESRC, Act 2? Or, do our competitors know something we don't?

:: Dale's Recycling Report

Dale obtained prices on various metals from a local recycler. Although I won't repeat the prices here, I will say they are encouraging. Hey...local delivery of 700 lbs. of metal beats the cost of shipping 700 lbs. to Chicago any day. John says he can arrange deliveries so we will try the local vendor, who comes highly recommended by a trusted source, Big Bob the Plumber.

:: Warehouse Mini-Report

Our recycling guru, Big Bob the Plumber, is looking for rack uprights for us. For about $250, he estimates we can create 20 additional rack spaces along the inside wall behind our office. BBtP is willing to let us use cross members he has accumulated to construct the racks. This is a no-brainer, rat-simple good deal. We'll get our inventory off the floor, and our benefactors can park their trucks in the empty floor space. BBtP says we can move the trucks temporarily any time we need the room.

Goose created a fancy spreadsheet to keep track of our inventory. The spreadsheet actually looks like the rack spaces in the warehouse. Very creative.

Janice has agreed to supervise deman operations to free Albert to manage the inventory. If this isn't good enough news, listen to the next story. While we were talking about qualifications and certifications to work with hardware, Albert disclosed that he was told he can expect to earn $5000 per year more as an entry level A+ tech or MCSE because of his volunteer experience at FGM!

MCSE -- http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/default.mspx
A+ --  http://certification.comptia.org/a/
LPI -- http://www.lpi.org/

:: Quote of the Day

"As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual
certainty, and I thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life -- so I
became a scientist.  This is like becoming an archbishop so you can
meet girls."
                -- Matt Cartmill

###