[frgeek-michiana] Re: Kiosk computers and WebKit

  • From: Phil Goldbach <shadowvar8541@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 14:02:52 -0800 (PST)

So far, I've downloaded the SliTaz ISO, burned it to a disk, and to test it,
put the disk into my laptop (Dell Inspirion 8200, P4 1.9 GHz processor, 768
RAM). My laptop is quite capable of running SliTaz, but it was just a test to
see if the copy was good. While it may be like Puppy Linux in that it loads
into RAM, it looks a bit like Vector. I didn't mess with any further than that,
but I plan on doing some more fiddling with it later tonight. It does boot up
rather quick and from what I can tell, this looks very viable for a kiosk OS.
I'll look into the "Slitaz Loram flavor", since that only requires 64 MB of
RAM, and if we can install that for kiosk usage, then I'd definitely put my
vote forward for using it.

I do realize however, our priority is FreeBoxes, so I will focus more on the
machines that require further testing first.

Phil Goldbach

"Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades."

From: Mike Cook <mikecook@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, January 22, 2010, 10:42 AM

#yiv1319078980 #yiv1703689062 {font-family:Geneva, Arial, Helvetica,
sans-serif;font-size:10pt;font-family:arial,
sans-serif;background-color:#ffffff;color:black;}#yiv1319078980 #yiv1703689062
p{margin:0px;}Thanks, I haven't looked at SliTaz for a while. Last time I
looked it needed 64M of memory to boot and they recommended 256M. It is similar
to Puppy Linux in that it runs in RAM. I noticed that they have some excellent
Docs though. Definitely worth looking at some
 more.

http://www.slitaz.org/en/doc/index.html
http://www.slitaz.org/en/doc/scratchbook/

Thanks,