[frgeek-michiana] Re: Kiosk computers and WebKit

  • From: Mike Cook <mikecook@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 11:20:51 -0500 (EST)

Yes, very interesting. Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Germano
Sent: Jan 20, 2010 10:57 AM
To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [frgeek-michiana] Re: Kiosk computers and WebKit

Mike, I thought you especially might find this interesting.

One of the main ports of WebKit is the GTK+ (http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/BuildingGtk) version. On their Hacker's guide to WebKit/GTK+ (http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/HackingGtk) page, it mentions that it has been tested with both X11 and DirectFB(!!) windowing systems. I think this means we can have a web browser that doesn't require a running x server, which would be perfect for a kiosk.

I found this page (http://nanl.de/blog/2009/10/gtk2-running-on-top-of-directfb-on-openwrt/) where someone was testing GTK apps, though not WebKit, running on ARM and MIPS processors with limited amounts of RAM using DirectFB rendering and comparing it to Xorg rendering on the same hardware. The results look promising :)

<snip>
** This list is PUBLICLY archived. ** PLEASE don't post personal or sensitive information unless you wish for it to be in the public domain. To visit the main website for Free Geek Michiana go to http://www.freegeekmichiana.org To post to the list send email to frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx The archive is available at //www.freelists.org/archives/frgeek-michiana/ You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at //www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana