[frgeek-michiana] Re: Food Bank

  • From: mdcsystems@xxxxxxxxxxx (Mike Cook)
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 17:33:40 +0000

Qemu is amazingly fast running on Puppy. Probably due to low overhead from the
host OS and the fact that it is essentially running from RAM . In fact qemu
runs
faster on Puppy without kqemu than on Ubuntu or Windows with kqemu on the same
system (Athlon 64 3200+, 2G memory).  I've been running the distros using the
iso's as virtual cdrom drives. So far I haven't had any glitches and the guest
OS's don't seem to notice that they aren't running on bare metal.

In the course of investigating slax I have discovered that the primary
developer
has been on hiatus and that the main site is down although there is a mirror of
the old site and a blog (most recently posted to today) The one thing I like
most about the slax based system was that it starts directly in Firefox, in
full
screen mode and disables the menus, toolbars, key commands and right button
menus in Firefox. Since this is done usinf the R-kiosk plugin in Firefox that
behavior should be easy to change.  If you do manage to shutdown firefox it
will
automatically restart although I was able to bring up a run program dialog and
start another program before it managed to restart Firefox, so it's not
entirely
bulletproof.  I'm not sure it would be possible to make it completely idiot
proof, the quality of idiots keeps improving.

Do you have an idea of how much access the clients would need? Are they going
be limited to a few select websites, or should we allow for websites to be
entered into the address bar? Are we going to have to filter sites? I was
thinking that a local home page with links to the sites they would need and
maybe a logo and a help page would work well.

Mike

From: "Tom Brown" <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>