[frgeek-michiana] Re: FW: [News and Security Announcements] TKLBAM, a new kind of smart backup/restore

  • From: "Tom Brown" <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 13:29:28 -0400

I have casually researched cloud backups and haven't seen a compelling
product so I'm glad to hear about your investigations.

Currently I use BackupPC for onsite backups. BackupPC is set to do a full
backup of each PC on our network, over the network, once per week and
incremental (deltas) backups once per day. Each full backup lasts two weeks
before being erased (I can keep more). These are not bare metal disaster
recovery backups because of proprietary Microsoft technology which BackupPC
can't or won't afford to license. Once per week I clone the BackupPC config
and data partition to a drive and store the drive offsite.

BackupPC relies heavily on rsync and compression to create pools and hard
links avoid duplicate data. If there are 42 files which are exactly the same
on 42 PCs, BackupPC stores one file and 41 hard links. The hard links are
the reason I use Clonezilla to make offsite backups instead of tar, cpio,
cp, dd or rsync. Right now I have 42 systems (PCs), 97 full backups and 247
incremental backups stored on about 500GB of a 1TB drive. The PC full
backups would total 1671GB before pooling and compression, and the
incremental backups would total 367GB before pooling and compression.

Servers get the Clonezilla treatment although I could use BackupPC on them
as well. Both BackupPC and Clonezilla are open source.

Tom --

  _____

From: tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [frgeek-michiana] FW: [News and Security Announcements] TKLBAM, a
new kind of smart backup/restore
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 14:06:43 -0400

If you use Turnkey Linux, this is great news. If you don't, it is possible
(probable?) contributors will adapt the open source TKLBAM tool to other
variants of GNU/Linux. TKLBAM is designed specifically for use with TKL
servers in the Amazon EC2 cloud, not sure if it works in other scenarios
because the authors don't illustrate other scenarios.

Tom --

  _____