[frgeek-michiana] Re: FW: [News and Security Announcements] TKLBAM, a new kind of smart backup/restore

  • From: Tony Germano <tony_germano@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 11:38:20 -0400

I have been investigating similar solutions to use for offsite backups at work.
I'm currently looking at Jungle Disk Business Edition
(https://www.jungledisk.com/business/) and CrashPlan PRO
(http://b4.crashplan.com/business/index.html) and hope to try them soon. Jungle
Disk can use cloud storage at Amazon or Rackspace. CrashPlan backs up primarily
to onsite storage for speed and offsite is secondary for disaster recovery. I'm
looking at these two because they have a centralized management console for
backing up multiple servers. Both of these solutions have block level data
deduplication, so if any file has changed you are only uploading a
compressed/encrypted block containing the changes rather than the entire file.
If the contents of two files are identical, you only back up the unique blocks
once and both files point to them. They also support versioning, so you can do
point-in-time restores.

It looks like TKLBAM uses the rsync algorythm to do delta backups within a
file, but I don't see anything saying it does deduplication across multiple
files or supports multiple versions of the same file. Still, it's nice to have
an opensource player in this market.

Tony

From: tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [frgeek-michiana] FW: [News and Security Announcements] TKLBAM, a new
kind of smart backup/restore
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 14:06:43 -0400

If you use Turnkey Linux, this is great news. If you don’t, it is possible
(probable?) contributors will adapt the open source TKLBAM tool to other
variants of GNU/Linux. TKLBAM is designed specifically for use with TKL servers
in the Amazon EC2 cloud, not sure if it works in other scenarios because the
authors don’t illustrate other scenarios.

Tom --