[frgeek-michiana] FW: Demanufacturing E-waste

  • From: "Jay Schlatter" <jschlatter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Frgeek-Michiana" <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 10:48:46 -0500

Some interesting notes below.

O. Jay Schlatter
Technology Director
Goodwill Industries of Michiana, Inc.
(574) 472-7383

-----Original Message-----
From: rburkert@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:rburkert@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 1:57 PM
To: Jay Schlatter
Subject: Demanufacturing E-waste

Jay,

I developed a collaborative between Goodwill and the Bakersfield
Association for Retarded Citizens to de-manufacture monitors,
televisions and other electronic devices.  We use air powered screw
drivers and simple hand tools.  The mentally disabled clients have had
no trouble learning how to do it.

So far, we  have been shipping out whole tubes.  But as
you know this is the least efficient way to get rid of
them.  I am looking for a low tech method to seperate
the plate from the funnel.

I know some places use a saw, but this method requires expensive
equipment and controls.  I understand Envirocycle used to use a heat
shock method but abandoned it in favor of the saws.  They told me the
heat cracking method left too many rough edges.

I plan to experiment with a tool to score the glass and
a torch to heat it.  If this method works I will let
you know.  In the mean time, if you find a method that
is cheap and safe, please let me know.

Thank you

Roland

Roland Burkert, President