[frgeek-michiana] Re: Dead Hard Drives Still Have a Purpose

  • From: Phil Goldbach <shadowvar8541@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 16:01:02 -0700 (PDT)

Tried that too, the funny thing is that xorg or KDE will not let me do that,
I've already tried that as well. It sees the top of the monitor/screen as the
top and doesn't allow me to drag windows above that so that I can access the
buttons at the bottom.

Phil Goldbach

"Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades."

From: Phil Goldbach <shadowvar8541@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [frgeek-michiana] Dead Hard Drives Still Have a Purpose
To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, May 1, 2010, 1:58 PM

Here's a neat video I just found on Youtube about people with too much time on
their hands and some dead hard drives:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqv1GS7ShH8&feature=channel

It's pretty cool, though.

Also, I've finally decided to move away from Windows and use it only when
necessary, since I've been having trouble with Windows 7 on my tower. Took long
enough, but I suppose you could say I'm now a Linux convert. I'm using Back
Track 4, which is built on Ubuntu 8.10.

With a little help from Chuq, last night I wrote my first two scripts. The
first was to change the MAC address of the wifi card in my netbook, the second
was to change the class of my Bluetooth dongle. Initially, the Bluetooth dongle
shows up as miscellaneous for class, the script was to
 change it to a "cell phone" for easier association.

I'm determined to learn more about Linux and the commands, I've printed off a
few cheat sheets of commands, so I'm hoping I become adept at Linux.

Chuq also found a netbook version of Ubuntu. It looks pretty sharp. Speaking of
netbooks, I'm having a bit of a problem where the size of some windows are
larger than my desktop (Acer Aspire 1 netbook, mx resolution of 1024 x 600).
Resizing the windows will not display any of the buttons along the bottom. I
can bring in the horizontal of the windows, but not the vertical. I've tried
clicking on the title bar, going to Advanced, then Special Windows Settings,
and forcing the size of the window to say 700, 550. The problem with this is
that it then doesn't make the window scrollable or provide the buttons at the
bottom. Any ideas on how to fix it? It's already been posted on the Back Tack 4
forums, and last I checked, there was currently no
 solution. Alt-clicking and dragging on the title bar doesn't help either.