[frgeek-michiana] Re: Carpentry for warehouse

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 12:10:36 -0500

Mike, Goose, Chuq, Dan and Dale are renovating and outfitting the workspace. Goose and Chuq are in charge of the warehouse; they supervise and coordinate Tuesday and Thursday nights. I'm available as needed to show up at a store with the FGM debit card or reimburse volunteers for purchases. Reimbursement requires a receipt.

Decisions regarding prepping the new warehouse will be made, ideally, by consensus at the lowest level. If there is no consensus and time is of the essence, majority rules. If there is no clear majority and the clock is still ticking, the supervisors call it.

Generally, we don't want the board making decisions about paint, cleaning supplies or lumber. ;)

Tom

Kevin Yendes wrote:
I would go to the sherman williams/mab dealer by my house they have fairly reasonable prices on paint (I get a discount for being in the trades) they some times have missed colored paint that can be bought for low money and can still be tinted. As far as the wood Menards is where I got my stuff for my bench will have to go to the mishawaka store for that stuff, I know some of the guys out there, I could work them for a price break because we are a not for profit group. Tom what are your commits on this? Sam club would be the way to go on the shelves if you want to be able to move them if you need to. I have a business membership and I can get in there early in the morning @ 7 am they have heavy steel racks made for heavy storage, and also chrome wire racks, price I don't remember, I can get that tomarrow morning if you want. I would suggest a light color paint white it reflects light and that would help in not having a dark warehouse, shows dirt easier,but helps in lighting the area better. If you don't want to go with Sam's club, Menards has shelving frames that you can buy and just get the shelving boards and screw them together not adjustable as the steel ones would be but most likely cheeper.
Kevin

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 11:02 PM, john jones <rainman121065@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:rainman121065@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    OK then any suggestions on paint or a plan? or do we just keep it
    ghetto yellow,,,,,,,,,,

    --- On *Wed, 11/4/09, Kevin Yendes /<kevin.yendes@xxxxxxxxx

        From: Kevin Yendes <kevin.yendes@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:kevin.yendes@xxxxxxxxx>>

        Subject: [frgeek-michiana] Re: Carpentry for warehouse
        To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Date: Wednesday, November 4, 2009, 7:43 PM

        Just a few commits, used paint is as good as used toilet
        paper! You can not mix different brands of paint together, the
        mfg's don't use the same chemical compounds, you can get a
        chemical reaction. Also if you are painting concrete that
        takes a different set up from standard paint for wood or
        drywall. You can put a binder in the paint to help it adhere
        to concrete. Also without heat most paint doesn't work well in
        low temp conditions. I can help with the construction on the
        tables etc. Sam's club has heavy wire storage racks that would
        work great for the warehouse. They can be mobile with wheels
        or some can be static. I built a bench for reloading, I used
        outdoor treated wood bulsters for my legs, precut to just the
        right height look good and with 1 4x8 sheet of plywood I got a
        top and a self for storage and it helps steady the bench. Used
        2x4's for the stringers and used 6 legs cost was reasonable too.
        Kevin

        On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:12 PM, john jones
        <rainman121065@xxxxxxxxx
        <http://mc/compose?to=rainman121065@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

            Wow Chuq that was heavy,,well if u wanna go down that road
            well youll have to go with me cuz i aint gonna with my
            luck id end up accidently bringin back pink or something
            and i aint down with that

            --- On *Wed, 11/4/09, Chuq /<chuq00@xxxxxxxxx

                From: Chuq <chuq00@xxxxxxxxx
                <http://mc/compose?to=chuq00@xxxxxxxxx>>

                To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                <http://mc/compose?to=frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                Date: Wednesday, November 4, 2009, 6:40 PM

                Yahoo went to the store and bought what they thought
                was grey paint for
                their office (they bought the cheapest paint
                available) and that is how
                their ugly purplish color came about... so you never
                know what lies in a
                bucket of paint!

                chuq

                <csxt@xxxxxxxxxxx
                <http://mc/compose?to=csxt@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> > From: Richard Zimmerman <csxt@xxxxxxxxxxx
                <http://mc/compose?to=csxt@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
                >         Subject: [frgeek-michiana] Re: Carpentry for
                warehouse
                >         To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                <http://mc/compose?to=frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                >         Date: Wednesday, November 4, 2009, 6:07 PM
> > What's new gallon of paint cost. Even @ 1/2
                empty, 2.5 gallons
                <http://mc/compose?to=tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>/* wrote:
                >         >
                >         >
                >         >     From: Tom Brown
                <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                <http://mc/compose?to=tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
                >         >     Subject: [frgeek-michiana] Carpentry
                for warehouse
                >         >     To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                <http://mc/compose?to=frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                >         >     Date: Wednesday, November 4, 2009, 9:12 AM
                >         >
                >         >     Goose and Chuq:
                >         >
                >         >     I saw Imre this morning. If someone
                relays the ideas to
                >         Imre, he
                >         >     is willing
                >         >     to draw up plans for cutting and
                building work benches
                >         and
                >         >     shelves. He might
                >         >     help with the construction.
                >         >
                >         >     Imre recommends a circular saw to cut
                the lumber unless
                >         a table
                >         >     saw has a
                >         >     large table. Too small tables flex
                plywood sheets and
                >         make the
                >         >     cuts more
                >         >     difficult and less accurate.
                >         >
                >         >     As soon as Imre makes a materials
                list, let me know so
                >         we can
                >         >     coordinate
                >         >     purchasing and delivering the lumber
                and fasteners.
                >         >
                >         >     Tom
                >         >
                >         >
                >         >
                >         >     ** This list is PUBLICLY archived. **
                >         >     PLEASE don't post personal or
                sensitive information
                >         unless you
                >         >     wish for it to be in the public domain.
                >         >
                >         >     To visit the main website for Free
                Geek Michiana go to